Smells like Tihar Spirit
Tihar is right around the corner, we have picked a few do it yourself room fresheners that will leave you with an air so fantastic, you will be stunned.
Essential oil is one of the most significant parts of making a natural DIY room freshener. They are basically aroma compounds extracted from plants found in the form of liquid. Each scent obtained from different plants has different essence. Interestingly, they're used as a therapy for anxiety, stress and even depression by inducing relaxation. So, with Tihar right around the corner, we have picked a few do-it-yourself room fresheners that will leave you with an air so fantastic, you will be stunned.
Spray bottles air fresheners:
- 10 drops of preferred essential oil (For example: Wild Orange)
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- A clean spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Vodka/ rubbing alcohol
- Mix the drops of essential oil with baking soda.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle and fill 1/3 parts of it with distilled water.
- Add 2/3 parts of vodka/ rubbing alcohol or you can use simple water as well.
- Shake well before each use.
Glass jar air freshener:
- Glass jar with lid
- Uncooked rice
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5-10 Drops of peppermint essential oil
- Fill the glass jar with uncooked rice.
- Add the drops of lavender and peppermint essential oil.
- Close the lid and shake the jar so the seeds are well coated with the oil.
- Poke many small holes in the lid of the jar with something sharp, preferably a compass or a needle and place the glass jar in any room that you would like to freshen up for Tihar.
- This mixture will last for 2-3 week. You can just add more essential oil into the jar and reuse the rice.
Gelatin air freshener:
- A glass jar with a frog lid.
- Mixing bowl
- 1 packet of gelatin powder
- Food coloring (optional and according to preference)
- 6 drops wild orange essential oil
- 5 drops cassia essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- Mix gelatin powder with ¼ cup of hot water in a mixing bowl and stir until the powder is fully dissolved.
- Add food coloring to create the shade you like.
- Pour ¼ cup of cold water into the mixture.
- Add all the essential oil for the fragrance.
- Pour the mixture into the jar, close it with the frog lid and put it in a cool place to set. You can put it in any room of your choice.
- After it has set it will look like a translucent jelly. Because gelatin makes holds its own shape, it will also hold the fragrance causing the mixture of scents to last much longer than other kinds of DIY air fresheners.
Simmering technique for your kitchen:
- 3 springs of rosemary
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- Pour two cups of water in a pot and put sliced lemon in it.
- Put the pot on the stove. Put the stove on simmer (letting the water stay below the boiling pot just allowing small bubbles to erupt in the liquid) and add the 3 springs on rosemary in it.
- Add vanilla extract into the water.
- As the water starts evaporating slowly, you can smell the amazing scent in your kitchen.
- In order to have the fragrance last, keep adding water to the mixture according to requirement.
- You can simmer these ingredients for two consecutive days.