Electric scooters are the Plug-in Electric Vehicle (PEV), using electricity to power the vehicle. It consists of a rechargeable battery, one or more motor and a motorcycle frame. Battery is charged from an external source of electricity, which powers the motor. Motor is the unit which drives the complete assembly.
They look like the conventional type fuelled scooters, but are more attractive and environment friendly. Can they be future of conventional fuelled scooter? They do have lots of benefits over the conventional scooters. Let us see the advantages and disadvantages of electric scooters.
1. Better 0–60 acceleration as the motor develops full torque immediately.
2. Very low maintenance cost, can be compared to zero maintenance (Except for wear & tear items and accidental damages).
3. Very fewer parts compared to conventional scooters.
4. Depends on renewable source of energy.
5. Recharging is very much economical than refueling. Battery recharging cost is less than the 10% of your fuel cost.
6. With no by-product pollutants, it is very much environment Friendly.
7. Quieter than conventional scooters, you would not know whether it is running or not.
8. Government subsidies available for sales and promotion.
9. Best option for city riding as it saves your costs and reduces noise and air pollution.
1. Charging the vehicle is time consuming (3-10 hours, depending upon battery used).
2. Limited mileage per charge.